Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Eating to Loose Weight

We all know that nutrition is key to loosing weight.  We know to avoid sugars, flour, any unhealthy fats, we know the common sense approach.  However we are always searching quick fixes, have you noticed that?  Just give me a pill to control my appetite, but I'll still eat pizza, hamburgers, whatever.  The pill might curve your appetite but unfortunately it will do nothing for your overall wellness as you are still not feeding your body the nutrients it needs to run smoothly, help your metabolism and get the most out of your workouts.   We are too obsessed with low calorie foods.

When we were younger we were told to avoid Fats.  Guess what? in order for our body to melt fat away we now know that we need fat for our body to metabolize the fat our body has stored.  We were told to avoid all carbs, but guess what? we need carbs for energy.  We were told that too much protein would be bad for our kidneys, but guess what? but now know we need protein to help repair our muscle tissue and helps our bodies with enzymes and hormones.  We KNOW that we need a balance diet of Protein, Carbs, Fats.  Which means we need to eat lean meats, eggs, veggies, whole wheats, avocados, nuts, etc.  Don't get me wrong I know we are all different, our bodies respond to different foods differently.  For example, I know that when I go camping and have a high fat/high protein breakfast it won't do damage to my scale, however, have way too many smores and I retain water like crazy! I get all puffy!  Our bodies respond differently so having a food journal, to write down what we eat is important, not necessarily to record number of calories but to write how we felt when we had a certain foods.  Did we feel good? Did we have energy? how soon were you hungry after eating that meal/snack?

Eating low cal, while might help you to loose weight faster might not necessarily be good for your body.  Especially when we focus Low Cal and the food that we are eating is processed.  Like 100 calories snack packs.  Its important to read the ingredients.  I have 5 kids, work full time so eating 100% clean would be ideal, I have to be realistic.  Opening up the pasta sauce is a whole lot more efficient for me than making the sauce from scratch, however I am reading labels and going for smarter choices.

This week, I am going to focus more on high nutrient foods rather than obsessing on low cal foods.  Come back next Monday and I'll report back if it made a difference to my overall wellness!

No comments:

Post a Comment