Cheesy Chicken Pasta - from Eatingwell.Com
Servings 6 (about 1 1/3 cups each)
Total Time: 35min
- 8 ounces of whole wheat penne
- 2 cups of cauliflower Florets
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups of low fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (Taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 Cup of shredded gruyere or swiss cheese
- 3 cups of cooked chicken (12 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallion greens
- Bring a large pot of of water to boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cook until pasta and florets are tender (about 4 mint more) Drain, rinse and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Whisk milk, flour, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until smooth. Stir chicken (or turkey) and mustard into the cheese sauce; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the sauce into the drained pasta and cauliflower. Serve sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).